Bumpkin, Notting Hill. November 26th, 2013
Karina Robinson joined us for our very first Broad Minded event, talking us through her top 10 tips for getting to the top. Karina has had a very interesting and enviable career. She started as an equity analyst at a merchant bank before becoming the Political and Economic Correspondent at Bloomberg. Today she is the Founding Principal of Robinson Hambro, a firm focusing on chairman advisory services and one that has played a key advisory role to Lord Davies Women on Boards. She is a major advocate and voice for women in the workplace, with positions on the Diversity Advisory Panel for Fiona Woolf and the Global Female Leaders Summit 2015.
Karina gave us a brilliant presentation – top tips below:
- Sense of humour – lesson for us all, but especially those majoring in the balancing act
- Keep a duster handy – expect to face some different treatment as a woman; learn to deal with it and dust yourself down afterwards.
- Money money money – make sure you have control of your own finances
- Connect, above all, connect – we may not always love it, but networking and building relationships will be an invaluable asset
- Marry well – you don’t need to find your own Roman Abramovich but finding a supporting partner is incredibly important for any woman, especially one that wants to follow their own career path
- Be an alien – don’t be afraid to stand out; you’re a woman and be proud of that.
- Grasp opportunities – if you see the glimmer of an opportunity, grab it!
- Support other women – often women’s worst enemy at work can be other women. We’re in this together – support each other.
- Drop the guilt trip – can we have it all? Who cares, you’ve got enough to think about without that on top.
- Have fun!